My friend Annella was having a clear out recently, and she gave me a bundle of beautiful broderie anglaise material, which she had no use for. It had originally belonged to Annella’s granny, so it must be really old, as Annella is 83. I think that at one time most of it had been made up into underskirts, as there was one intact one in the bundle, and another which had just had the waistband removed.
I wore the intact one under a flimsy skirt when I went shopping in Edinburgh on Saturday. I think it must have been the “Sunday best” underskirt as it seems like new and the material is very sturdy. It certainly stopped my skirt from sticking to my legs and made the skirt ‘hang’ better.
So, being of a waste not, want not turn of mind, I thought I would make the one which had just had the waistband removed into a summer nightdress, as it was more than half way there already. As you can see below, I simply gathered the top edge, and then bound the edge with lace which I already had in my stash. I’m quite pleased with the outcome.
Although, I must admit that this was my second try at it. I actually went to the trouble of making pin tucks at my first attempt of the nightdress, however that all went sadly wrong when I accidently cut through the material when I was cutting the lace edging. Honestly, I couldn’t have done it if I had tried, but – hey ho – you know how it is and I couldn’t face making the pin tucks again.
Now all I need is some summer weather in which to wear a nightie. I’ve just changed over from the winter duvet to the summer one today as it has been too cold until now, and I wouldn’t be at all surprised if I had to pile a quilt on top of it tonight. Well, that’s Scotland in June for you.