Classics Club Spin

9 February 2014 00:18

It’s time for another Classic Club Spin, my list is much the same as last time, except that I’ve replaced the original numbers 10 and 11 by The Children of the New Forest and The Land of Green Ginger. The books which were there originally were The Talisman and Ivanhoe and I’m pleased to say that I’ve now read them both.

1. Deerslayer by J. Fenimore Cooper
2. Uther and Igraine by Warwick Deeping
3. Poor Caroline by Winifred Holtby
4. Angel by Elizabeth Taylor
5. Homage to Catalonia by George Orwell
6. The Road to Wigan Pier by George Orwell
7. Dead Souls by Nikolai Gogol
8. Oblomov by Ivan Goncharov
9. A Tramp Abroad by Mark Twain
10. The Children of the New Forest by Captain Marryat
11. The Land of Green Ginger by Winifred Holtby
12. Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy
13. Nana by Emile Zola
14. Moby Dick by Hermann Melville (dreading)
15. The Crowded Street by Winifred Holtby
16. The House of the Seven Gables by Nathaniel Hawthorne
17. An Unsuitable Attachment by Barbara Pym
18. The Courts of the Morning by John Buchan
19. The Gap in the Curtain by John Buchan
20. Love by Elizabeth von Arnim

I’m not fussed which number comes up really, apart from hoping that Moby Dick doesn’t come up of course.

14 responses to “Classics Club Spin”

1. Karen K. says:

Moby Dick is on my list too. I may just read it this year and get it over with — or at least give it an honest try before giving up. You never know, some of my spin picks have been really good and I’ve been pleasantly surprised.

• Katrina says:

Karen K,

I might just read it too, and get it over with, maybe we could do a readalong. It seems to be a love it or hate it book, I just can’t see how it could be good though.

2. Brona says:

I’ll swap you Moby Dick for Ulysses!
    I guess we all have a book we feel we should read though we have our doubts as to how well suited we are :-)

Good luck

• Katrina says:

Brona,
      No thanks, I read The Dubliners and don’t want to darken Joyce’s door again! I’ve had Moby Dick hanging about for years, threatening me from a bookcase!

3. Just wondering why you’ve put Moby Dick on your list if you don’t want it to be picked.

Anna Karenina would be good – I loved that book.

• Katrina says:

Margaret,
      I inherited a really old copy about 30 years ago and feel I should read it, but it really doesn’t appeal to me. I think I’ve read just about all of the classics which were passed down to me, except that one. I plan to read Anna Karenina soon anyway even though – as Jack says, I know how it ends!

4. Lisa says:

Moby Dick is one of those books I feel I should read, and I was looking at a copy in a bookstore the other week, but I don’t seem to get much beyond thinking I should read it!

As always, I’ll be interested in seeing what you draw.

5. Judith says:

Katrina,
    I’m extremely keen to read a novel by Barbara Pym this year. I can’t be certain, but her novels look like they might be right up our alley. Pym has received short shrift from the snobs of elevated literary fiction in days of yore, but her work intrigues me. I have a library copy of Crampton Hodnet in the house at the moment, based on a good review by Danielle at Work in Progress, but as I read the summaries of all of her books, each one sounded intriguing. Are you up to reading her this year?
    Thinking of you and Jack,
    Judith

• Katrina says:

Judith,
      I read most of her books in the 1970s when CP Snow ‘praised her to the skies’ on TV, that made her career I think. I do like her books and have been re-reading a few, but they are mostly packed away already! I have a book called Civil to Strangers which is a sort of compilation of a short novel and short stories. Of her novels I think I enjoyed Quartet in Autumn and Excellent Women most. I don’t think Crampton Hodnet is one of her best,I read it fairly recently. I’m up for a read with you anyway, your choice, I’m sure I can dig a copy of whatever out. Keep thinking of us please, we still can’t find a suitable house!

6. Judith says:

Katrina,
    So interesting that you’re very familiar with Pym. You have one Pym novel on your Classics Spin list. Would you be interested in reading this one at some point this year?

I’m going to note in my files that you liked Quartet in Autumn and Excellent Women.

And, yes, please, please, dear Fates, may Katrina and Jack find the perfect house in or near a lovely village that is not too far away from a good library and bookstores!
    Judith

• Katrina says:

Judith,
      You know I made that list up a while ago and forgot that there was a Pym on it. That one must be in a bookcase somewhere so I’m up for reading it anytime. We’re viewing another house tomorrow – so you never know, we live in hope!

7. Judith says:

Katrina,
    All righty! How does April sound to you? And, of course, if you’re hip-deep in the processes of moving or settling or whatever, we can schedule any other month.

I don’t know about Scotland real estate, but in the snowy Northeast, lots of properties do not come up for sale until spring. Here’s to hoping!

Judith

• Katrina says:

Judith,
      April sounds fine, so lomg as it’s after the first week, we have to move out by the 4th!!!
      Our timing is all out of whack, because it’s the same here, the spring is moving season, but the market is so sluggish here at the moment and people aren’t putting their houses up for sale unless they have absolutely no alternative.