Coffee Cream

15 August 2010 23:11

This pudding isn’t exactly exciting looking, it is after all beige and it’s what granny would have called “a shape”. I adapted this recipe from a Margeurite Patten one which was actually in the section of “food for the elderly”. It uses up half a can of evaporated milk and as I often have exactly that much left over from doing a particular pasta dish, I thought I would give it a try.

1/2 large can evaporated milk
2oz sugar
3 heaped dessertspoons cornflour
water
1 tsp instant coffee granules

Make the evaporated milk up to one pint with water. Blend the cornflour, sugar and coffee with some of the milk. Bring the rest of the milk to the boil. Pour onto the blended mixture and stir well. Return to the saucepan and bring to the boil again. Continue cooking, stirring all the time until it has thickened.

Pour the mixture into a mould. Leave to cool and set which will take several hours.

If you can remember Symington Table Creams, this pudding tastes and has a similar texture to those puddings. I read somewhere that you can still get the Symington ones but I haven’t seen them for years.

Basically it’s a very thick custard mixture which sets when it is cool. The sky’s the limit flavour-wise with this sort of recipe because you can add any kind of flavouring you fancy.

The original recipe called for vanilla essence but I tried coffee, in future I’m going to add some booze, probably Bailey’s Irish Cream. I’ll also try cocoa and I’m going to have a go at Maple and Walnut which was my favourite Symington one, I’ll use maple syrup instead of sugar but I’m not sure about the walnut flavour. Is there such a thing as walnut or pecan essence?

This is a very simple store-cupboard dessert, but it’s still tasty.

10 responses to “Coffee Cream”

1. Rob Simmons says:

Symington Table Creams do still exist although no longer produced by Symington but Dr Oetker, Sadly they no longer do the coffee or maple & walnut (both the ones i liked the best), only the strawberry and vanilla survive.

• Rob,
      Thanks for the info. The coffee, and maple and walnut flavours seem to be everyones favourite so it seems very strange that Dr Oetker decided to drop them. Maybe they’ll think better of it in the future.
      Regards,
      Katrina

2. Rob says:

What a pity Dr Oetker dropped Maple & Walnut table cream. Must have been based on some pretty flakey market research because it seems to be everyone’s favorite in my experience.

I’m trying to come up with my own substitute, either from scratch or by adding m&W flavouring to the vanilla version.
    I’ve looked everywhere for a maple and walnut flavouring. I can find maple and I can find walnut but not the two together. Looks like time to start experimenting to get the right ratio.

• Rob,

Thanks for the comment, as you say, the Maple and Walnut was a big favourite with most people. I can only think that maybe the profit margin wasn’t good enough for Dr Oetker, anything nutty tends to be expensive and the same goes for maple. It might be worth your while giving the coffee cream recipe a go because it does taste quite similar to maple and walnut. Please let me know if you come up with a good recipe to follow!

Katrina

3. Laurence says:

Hello,
    I received an email from Dr O today 4/11/13 to say they have discontinued all of the Symingtons products due to lack of demand. So it is now a case of make your own.
    ldg

• Katrina says:

Laurence,
      That’s a shame, I think that Dr O didn’t do much to help with demand for the product. I couldn’t get the table creams in my local supermarkets. Thanks for the info though.

Katrina

4. valerie says:

Great idea, will try the recipe as I have also been searching for them. I too loved the maple walnut best.
    Thanks for sharing it.

5. Peggy Ann says:

Something I’m looking forward to tasting when I come! Not something we see here. Atleast I’ve not seen them. Not sure how much 3 dessertspoons would equal, what if my dessert spoon is a different size than yours?

• Katrina says:

Peggy Ann,
      We can get standardised sets of measures in cook shops, so each teaspoon measure should be the same. I usually do a recipe once and then adjust it to my own taste the next time anyway.