I wanted to get back to doing some traditional embroidery a wee while ago so I bought this 1950s cushion cover from Ebay, it had obviously been folded up and unused in somebody’s work basket for the last 60 years or so.
It didn’t take me as long to do as I thought it might, I speeded things up quite a bit by adding the buttons to the design where there should really have been satin stitched circles. Actually, you live and learn because I thought that was such a good idea at the time but then I realised that I should have left the button embellishments to last as they did make it difficult to iron when the stitching was all finished. Silly me!
I also stitched tiny beads into the middle of some of the daisy flowers, just to make the textures a bit different. The other daisies have the more traditional French knots as centres. I think the yellow flowers were probably supposed to be pink but I decided I wanted a zingy mainly yellow and green colour scheme, so the pink got the elbow!
The stitches I used are the usual satin stitch, stem stitch sort of things. Now I want to try something a bit more ambitious and modern. With that in mind I bought a lovely book called:
Three Dimensional Embroidery Stitches by Pat Trott from Amazon. It arrived just a couple of days ago so I’m now raring to get on with another project. The book also shows you how to use paint in your designs too, which is something I haven’t tried yet. I can’t wait to experiment.
The image is from Amazon, if you want to look inside you’ll have to take a look at it on Amazon.
I posted about previous stages of this project here.