A couple of weeks ago we started banging tongue and groove cladding onto the back walls of the summerhouse, we did the same in our old summerhouse too and we just wanted to replicate it as we really liked the effect.
It’s a work in progress as you can see, in fact we’ve come to a standstill on that DIY project because we had torrential rain and it leaked a bit around the windows. So Jack had to get sealant to sort out that problem before we could finish the whole thing.
So this is as far as we’ve got, we still have to do the smaller bits around the windows and doors, but we’ve been waiting in vain for rain since then, we want to make sure there are no more leaks. I know it’s hardly believable, but we haven’t had rain for probably almost two weeks, apart the odd spit and spot.
Obviously we have to put some wooden edging over the rough edges to neaten it all up. Then I plan to paint it with one of those coloured wood washes which allow the grain of the wood to show through. The old summerhouse was painted like that in a sort of soft eau de nil colour which looked really nice and I think I’ll try to get a similar shade for this one. I’m a creature of habit – or boring, take your pick!
Anyway, the rain came this afternoon, torrential rain which was entirely my fault as I had just mentioned to a friend that we hadn’t had any rain for ages and it was great to get the washing dry in no time. Mentioning a lack of rain always seems to be fatal, someone up there was listening and decided to rectify things!
The summerhouse seems to be standing up well to the downpour so it looks like we will be able to finish that project soon. My priorities are completely different from most peoples’ I think as planning the garden has been much more important to me than doing anything in the house.